Monday, January 08, 2007

I believe in the fear of the unknown

I have come to believe that every morning when I am sitting on the edge of my bed trying to wake up. My subconscious is asking me whether I am ready to face the unknown again. I don't know what my answer to that question is each day but I get out of bed and try to face up to the unknown. The unknown is not the things that I don't know. No man can learn everything and by that process conquer the unknown. No, the unknown is that I don't know what comes next. I cannot tell you if I will make it to work on time, or if today will be the day I will draw my gun and kill a person.

I believe in the fear of the unknown. I believe it is the shocking reality of adult life the unknown. When we are kids the unknown is so great that it is not something that we can rap our brains around. I only have to look at my children to see that truth. My son lives in a wonderfully blissful life of superheroes and robots. Where the worst thing that happens to him is that I turn of the television in the middle of his cartoons. But in my son I see my own life reflected, and I weep for the cold reality of the unknown that he will discover.

Adults all fear the unknown. I most often see the adults who cannot deal with the unknown so they turn to drugs, violence, and despair. I believe that we all deal with the unknown in our own ways. I believe that my God helps me get up to face the unknown every time it slaps me in the face. (to be continued)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to know the One who knows all? We don't have to fear the unknown, because He is there before we are.